We’ve partnered with global insurance technology firm XCover.com to bring you renters insurance — simple, stress-free coverage for you and your belongings.
How does renters insurance work, and why should I sign up?
We offer renters insurance alongside our security deposit insurance policies. While security deposit insurance replaces cash security deposits, renters insurance provides peace of mind for you and coverage for your home for as little as $12.50 a month.
You may want to consider purchasing renters insurance because:
- Your property may require renters insurance. Many properties require proof of renters insurance before finalizing your lease.
- Affordable coverage and peace of mind. Things like theft or fires are never something you plan for, but peace of mind can set you back as little as $12.50 a month.
Renters insurance provides coverage for your personal items and liability coverage for accidents in your home. Unexpected events like fires are also covered to give you the coverage you need.
We cover theft and damage for your belongings, which are also covered even when you’re outside of your home. This includes:
To learn more about your coverage, please refer to your policy documents. We’ll email you a copy of your policy documents after you sign up for a policy, but you can also access them at any time on your Renter Dashboard.
This is a general description of coverage. Additional terms, conditions and exclusions apply to all coverages. Insurance and discounts are subject to availability and qualifications and may not be available in all states.
Am I eligible to sign up for renters insurance?
You’re eligible to purchase a policy through us if:
- Your property is partnered with Rhino — you can check by inputting your address here or asking your property manager about Rhino.
- You’re either:
- signing up for a new Rhino Security Deposit Insurance policy, or
- currently a Rhino Security Deposit Insurance policyholder.
- Your home is located in one of the following state(s):
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
We’re currently working on being available in more states soon and will update this page as that happens, so stay tuned!
How to sign up for renters insurance if you’re currently a Rhino renter:
- Visit your Renter Dashboard and click Get covered now under “Need renters insurance?”
- Get your personalized quote by answering a couple of questions.
- Check your email inbox for a confirmation email from us and XCover.
Be sure to download your proof of renters insurance and forward it to your property once you receive the confirmation email.
How do I file a claim, and how long does it take to get reimbursed?
It’s quick and easy to file a claim on your renters insurance policy by following these simple steps:
- Prepare any supporting documentation that may help your claim get approved faster. Examples include photos, videos, and police reports.
- Visit your Renter Dashboard and click File a Claim, or visit xcover.com/claim to get started.
- Provide details about your claim. You’ll be guided through the process and receive an email confirming that your claim was received.
Generally, it takes around 1–2 business days for the team to start reviewing your claim. You’ll be updated every step of the way and be contacted directly with updates or requests for more information. Once settled, you can expect a reimbursement soon afterward.
What if I move to a different address?
If you’re moving, you can easily sign up for a new policy through Rhino when you purchase a new security deposit insurance policy. You can add renters insurance during check-out, or visit your Renter Dashboard and click Get covered now under Need renters insurance?
How do I cancel my Renters Insurance policy?
If you no longer want a renters insurance policy, it’s easy to cancel it online.
- Visit your Renter Dashboard.
- Scroll down to your renters insurance policy and click Menu.
- Click Cancel Policy and follow the prompts to submit your cancellation request.
You’ll also get a prorated refund depending on the number of days you were covered and how long you had left.
Who can I contact if I have questions about my policy or claim?
You can reach out to XCover.com’s support team with any questions.